Once your child reaches age 18 you no longer have the legal right to make medical and dental decisions for your child if you live in the state of New York. If your child is intellectually impaired or developmentally disabled and requires your assistance in making these decisions, you may need to petition the Surrogate’s Court for a 17-A Guardianship.

The guardianship process can be initiated once your child attains age 17. The process usually takes between 6 and 12 months to complete.

[dt_sc_two_third first]Download helpful guardianship instructions provided by the Advocacy Services Bureau of the State of New York. As always, we’re available for additional help at (631) 286-1061.[/dt_sc_two_third]


What You Can Expect From Us:

  • We gather the necessary information and complete the forms so that you don’t have to.
  • We provide you with personal service. We’re accessible…and we keep you informed every step of the way.
  • We are fast and efficient. We know this is important to you, so we don’t waste time.
  • We process more 17-A Guardianship Petitions annually than many attorneys. This allows us to keep fees to a minimum. You profit from our experience.
  • We offer you options, depending on your budget and your needs.

Guardianship Services Include:

  • Special Needs Consultation
  • Completion of guardianship petition including affirmations, affidavits, citations and other necessary documents
  • Communication per your preference (phone or email)
  • 24-Hour Callback policy during business hours (9am – 5pm)
  • Referrals to other Special Needs professionals


[dt_sc_two_third first]Join our mailing list. Be the first to know about upcoming webinars, new blog posts and other resources using the form on our home page. [/dt_sc_two_third]


[dt_sc_two_third first]Have a general question? Use the form on our contact page to find out more information.[/dt_sc_two_third]




Some parents choose to complete the 17-A guardianship petition themselves.

I have compiled a list of 12 helpful tips that I have learned through the completion of over one hundred guardianships.

Learn More


For additional information and payment options, please call my office at (631) 286-1061.

*We are not attorneys and therefore cannot provide you with legal advice or legal representation.