SSI/MEDICAID BENEFITS PLANNING & ANALYSIS
One of the first questions you need to ask yourself is, “Does my child need Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Medicaid?”
Supplemental Security Income, otherwise known as SSI, is a needs-based program. It provides a maximum of $820 per month for an individual living in New York. This amount will remain the same for 2016 and is the equivalent of slightly less than $10,000 annually. Many disabled individuals need this income to pay toward their food and shelter.
If your child is deemed eligible for SSI, he or she will also be entitled to Medicaid in New York.
Medicaid has two important components.
- It provides medical and prescription benefits. This includes inpatient and outpatient hospital care, physician services, laboratory and x-ray services, dental services, and more.
- It provides access to to adult services such as Respite Care, Day Habilitation, Supported Employment, Self-Directed Services, Environmental Modifications, Residential Services, Adaptive Devices, and more.
As these services are Medicaid-based and cannot be purchased privately, it is essential that the individual in need of these services have Medicaid.
You, as the parent, can apply directly to your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office for SSI/Medicaid for your child. There are, however, reasons for you to consider using someone who is experienced with the Social Security Administration when applying for these government benefits. Some of them are:
- Your child’s assets, as well as your contributions to your child, can affect eligibility.
- Unearned income such as child support and other resources can impact your child’s benefits.
- Wages can also affect SSI and SSDI beneficiaries.
- Private medical insurance can also have an influence on Medicaid benefits. Medicaid may even reimburse you for part of your monthly insurance premium.
- There are other programs available, such as the Ticket to Work program and the Student Loan Discharge.
- The information you provide, and the manner in which you complete the application forms, can affect Social Security’s determination of eligibility for SSI and Medicaid.
Our unique SSI/Medicaid Benefits Planning & Analysis Service educates you as to what you need to know in order to maximize your child’s SSI and Medicaid benefits. In addition, it includes a Benefit Analysis Report and a FREE SSI Application Process. This includes:
- A home visit to gather the necessary information and documentation to file the application.
- Representation at the Social Security Office (We go there for you so you don’t have to.)
- Completion of the online disability application
- Recommendations on the necessary evidence to document one’s disability
- Review of the various SSI award levels for those approved for SSI, and how one qualifies
- Sample “Roomer Lodger Letter” for those families with a rental situation
As experts we know the issues which can affect your child’s SSI and Medicaid benefits. We know what information you need to provide to maximize your child’s chances of being approved, and what information is properly kept confidential. When it comes to SSI and Medicaid, what you don’t know can hurt you.
Let us save you the aggravation of dealing with the Social Security Administration. Best of all, assuming that your child is awarded SSI, our service will pay for itself in a matter of months.
Call us at (631) 286-1061 to find out more about our unique service and to arrange a free home visit, or contact us through our website and we’ll call you.
For families who want to take advantage of both our Benefits Planning & Analysis and our Guardianship Services, please ask about our Discount Package.
[dt_sc_two_third first]Join our mailing list. Be the first to know about upcoming webinars, new blog posts and other resources using the form on our home page. [/dt_sc_two_third]
I want to thank you for the terrific job you and your team of specialists have done. My son’s Transition Coordinator highly recommended you as a special needs resource, and you’ve lived up to every bit of your reputation. Your expertise, thoroughness, thoughtfulness and compassion have made this a real “Wow” experience—from guardianship to the SSI/Medicaid application. We plan to use you and your team for our legal documents as well, so that we can ensure Timothy’s future. I recommend you to all of my friends. I just tell them to look for the red sneakers!