BACK TO SCHOOL CHECKLIST
Summer’s over and it’s time to review where you are and determine what needs to be done to properly plan for your special needs child’s future. Here is a quick checklist to get you started.
- Have you addressed the issue of guardianship? If your child is 18 or older, you no longer have the legal right to make medical decisions for your child.
- Has your child has reached age 18? If so, have you applied for SSI and Medicaid? Medicaid is particularly important since it provides access to adult services. SSI provides income.
- Have you established proper Wills and Trusts?
- Have transition services been incorporated into your child’s IEP?
- Are your legal and financial documents coordinated?
- Have you prepared a Letter of Intent for your special needs child?
- Does your Executor/Executrix have a copy of the Letter of Intent?
- Is the Trust endowed with enough money to assure that distributions will not consume the principal throughout your child’s lifetime?
- Is all of your insurance in place and up-to-date, including life, health and income protection? If something were to happen to you or your spouse tomorrow, what would happen to your special needs child?
Please follow and like us: